What plugins are needed/recommended with the Thyme theme?
- Recipe Plugin:
- WP Recipe Maker – Thyme comes with a ready-to-go Recipe template for the WP Recipe Maker plugin. This is what is demoed here in the theme demo. You can also use other recipe card plugins.
- Create by Mediavine – Thyme can just as easily work with the Create plugin for your recipe cards! It’s not demoed here in the demo, as I can only have one recipe plugin running at a time, but this plugin works flawlessly with the Thyme theme and looks beautiful with whichever of their ready-made templates you select!
- WPTasty – You can also use this plugin in the Thyme theme and it will work beautifully! You aren’t just limited to the WP Recipe Maker plugin that is shown here.
- Atomic Blocks – This plugin is needed to get your blocks to match what you see here in our demo site and will be installed automatically when you use the One Click Install.
- FacetWP – This is a Premium Paid plugin and isn’t required to use in the Thyme theme. This feature can be displayed here, but you’d need to purchase your own license in order to use this feature.
- Genesis Enews Extended – This plugin is used in the widget spaces for your newsletter sign up box.
- Related Posts for WordPress – This is shown at the top of every single blog post. You can see it here. This plugin is optional and can simply be deleted if you don’t want this on your own website.
- Simple Social Icons – This plugin is used to display your social media links in the navigation menu and any widget space.
- Instagram Feed by Smash Balloon – This plugin is used to display your Instagram Feed at the footer of your website and can also be added into any block or widget space.
- WP Forms Lite – This plugin is used to place a form on your site. Perfect for your contact page.
- Grow by Mediavine – This plugin is used for social sharing buttons on individual blog posts.
Do I have to change my recipe card plugin or can I stay with who I currently have?
You absolutely don’t have to change! You can stay right where you are! But if you want to use the Recipe Card you see here in our demo site, you’ll follow these steps.
Is the Thyme theme only good for food bloggers?
OMG NO! Thyme was definitely built with food/recipe bloggers in mind, but Thyme would be fantastic for any type of blogger!
Here is an example of what Thyme could be for a Creative Blogger:
For this example, here is exactly what I did!
- Install Thyme as is!
- Set Home Page Option #2 as my home page under Settings > Reading.
- Uploaded my own images to each block and adjusted the text to fit my brand.
- Updated the Colors to fit my brand and images better under Appearance > Customize > Colors.
- I added this code to Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS just to change my post titles.
- Added my own logos throughout.
Easy as pie!!
What plugins should I remove if I’m not a food blogger?
You can remove the WP Recipe Maker plugin!
Is Thyme optimized for speed?
Absolutely!! There are a lot of factors that go into site speed for a website that has a lot to do with your own content (images, plugins, etc.). I do recommend the WP Rocket plugin to increase your site speed also!
The Thyme theme run through gtmetrix has the following results.